Recently a friend commented on one of my recent Facebook pics from the beach that I look great (why thank you!) but there’s a lot of “hard work” behind how I look. I immediately questioned this. Is it really hard? I feel like I’m simply living my life in a way that feels good with the result that I look good. Win-win, right?
Now I’m quite sure that when I was in my 20’s (overweight, out of shape and unhappy) it would have seemed like a lot of hard work to get to where I’m at now. So I do understand how you might feel there’s an awful lot of hard work between where you’re at right now and where you’d like to be.
- It may feel really “hard” to change your diet.
- You may think you need a lot of willpower to lose weight.
- You may think changing your diet will be full of deprivation (and sucky food).
- The last thing you want to do today (or tomorrow!) is go to the gym.
If you’re currently on the unhealthy end of the spectrum, than yes making changes will require a radical shift in your current habits – and beliefs. But does it need to be “hard”, require a lot of willpower or eat food that doesn’t taste good? Nope, I don’t think so.
How about a little shift in perspective?
- Do things that feel FUN instead of hard.
- Make changes that make YOU feel GOOD.
- Try out new habits, and keep the ones you ENJOY.
- Eat food that tastes Delicious (and fuels your body).
- Move your body in ways that make you SMILE.
Hmmm…. that doesn’t sound so hard does it?
I’ll admit that sometimes it’s easier to make an unhealthy choice – in the moment. But how about if you look at how you’ll feel afterward? Perhaps the choice that feels so compelling in the moment will lead to bloating, gas or feeling sluggish and cranky. Are you making a choice that will ultimately make you feel better or worse?
It’s not like you have to be perfect all the time (Newsflash – perfect is boring!). There’s some wiggle room here. If you make choices that make you feel good 80% of the time, then 20% of the time you can do what you like. So you don’t have to give up chocolate or ice-cream or cookies for the rest of your life… just keep it to a once in awhile treat (rather than a daily necessity).
How do you want to feel – most of the time?
This, my friend is attainable. It will not only lead to the results you want (looking good!) you’ll have fun and feel great in the process. Win-win!
What is one thing you can do right now that feels fun and good – and you know will be good for you too? Here are some ideas:
- Put cucumber or lemon slices in your water to support your water habit.
- Sneak more greens into your smoothies. Cacao cherry swiss chard?
- Take a bike ride somewhere new (just for the hell of it).
- Sign up for a dance class. Tap, Zumba, Ballroom – what makes you smile?
If this is where you get stuck – I can help! My Slim, Fit and Sexy weight loss program is designed to help you make changes that will not only last you the rest of your life, you’ll tap into how you you can have more fun and feel better than you thought possible. I have both private and group programs to help you achieve results.